Our History

A century of neighbors serving neighbors — from a $700 founding in 1924 to over 6,100 calls answered every year.

Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department · Est. 1924

EST. 1924

For more than a hundred years, the people of Sandy Spring have looked after one another — and the fire department has been at the heart of that promise since the very beginning.

What began in 1924 as a small group of residents pooling their resources to protect their community has grown into a full-service volunteer fire and rescue organization serving Sandy Spring, Olney, and the surrounding communities of Montgomery County. The trucks have changed, the calls have multiplied, and the technology has advanced beyond anything those founders could have imagined — but the mission has never wavered. This is the story of how it happened.

1924

Year Founded

100+

Years of Service

2

Stations

6,100+

Annual Responses

A Century in Eight Chapters

From a $700 founding to over six thousand responses a year — the milestones that shaped the department.

1923 – 1924 · The Founding

A Community Decides to Protect Itself

On November 20, 1923, an organizing committee of Sandy Spring residents met for the first time to discuss forming a fire company. The following September, the effort went public at a meeting held at Sherwood High School, and the Sandy Spring Volunteer Fire Department was born — funded by neighbors who understood that protection had to start at home.
1924 – 1929 · First Apparatus

From Hand Tools to Horsepower

The young department put its first dollars toward equipment, purchasing a 1924 International chemical unit — its first real pumper. In 1926, a Model T Ford fitted with a portable Evinrude pump joined the fleet, giving volunteers the mobility to reach fires across the rural countryside they served.

1930 – 1948 · A Permanent Home

Station 4 Rises

On June 19, 1930, members broke ground on Station 4 — built in large part by the volunteers themselves. Through the 1930s the fleet kept pace with the community’s growth, adding a Diamond T pumper in 1935 as the department matured from a fledgling outfit into an established institution.

1949 – 1961 · The Mack Era

"Pearl" Joins the Line

In 1949 the department purchased its first Mack pumper, affectionately nicknamed “Pearl.” A second Mack followed in 1954 — a truck still in service today as a beloved parade unit. In 1955, Station 4 was expanded with a three-story addition to house the growing organization and its equipment.

1962 – 1970 · Modernization

A New Standard of Service

The 1960s brought sweeping change. The fleet was modernized to meet rising call volumes, and the department hired its first career personnel to supplement the volunteers — a hybrid model that allowed Sandy Spring to provide round-the-clock coverage while preserving its volunteer foundation.
1971 – 1999 · Expansion North

Station 40 Opens in Olney

On December 1, 1971, Station 40 opened at 16911 Georgia Avenue in Olney, extending the department’s reach to a rapidly growing part of the county. Two stations now anchored a service area that stretched across northern Montgomery County, doubling the department’s operational footprint.

2000 – 2018 · A Modern Department

Meeting a Growing County

As Montgomery County grew, so did the demands on Sandy Spring. The department expanded its EMS capabilities, modernized its apparatus, and built the administrative and operational structure of a contemporary fire and rescue organization — all while holding to the volunteer ethos that defined it from the start.

2019 – Today · Honoring the Legacy

"The Pearl" Comes Home

In September 2019, the department reacquired “The Pearl” — one of its historic Mack pumpers — at auction, and restoration is underway to preserve a tangible piece of its heritage. Today, Sandy Spring answers more than 6,100 calls a year from two stations, carrying a century of service into its next hundred years.andy Spring. The department expanded its EMS capabilities, modernized its apparatus, and built the administrative and operational structure of a contemporary fire and rescue organization — all while holding to the volunteer ethos that defined it from the start.

Milestones at a Glance

From a $700 founding to over six thousand responses a year — the milestones that shaped the department.

Nov 1923

Organizing committee meets for the first time.

Sep 1924

First public meeting held at Sherwood High School; department founded.

1926

Model T Ford with portable Evinrude pump added.

1924

First pumper purchased — a 1924 International chemical unit.

Jun 1930

Station 4 established — ground broken by members.

1935

Diamond T pumper added to the growing fleet.

1949

First Mack pumper purchased — nicknamed “Pearl.”

1954

Second Mack pumper purchased — still a parade unit today.

1955

Station 4 expanded with a three-story addition.

Dec 1971

Station 40 opens at 16911 Georgia Avenue, Olney.

1962

Fleet modernized; first career personnel hired.

Sep 2019

“The Pearl” reacquired at auction — restoration underway.

Our Fallen Heroes

We remember the members who gave their lives in service to this community. Their courage is woven into every call we answer.

Be Part of the Next Chapter

A hundred years on, the department still runs on volunteers. Whether you want to fight fires, provide care, or support behind the scenes, there’s a place for you here.

Support Sandy Spring VFD

Your donation goes directly to equipment and training